Get ahead of the Holiday Season by using Google Shopping Features
Google is not only an essential step in holiday gift-buying, but it’s also often the first step shoppers take on their journey. More than 50% of global consumers use Google to search for products via searches such as “bird lover presents” and “bird house gift”.
Google’s Shopping Campaigns are specifically designed for eCommerce merchants and retailers who want to display products visually. Google Shopping, as a platform, is great for comparison shopping and it’s perfect for holiday season.
This post will provide a list of key Google Shopping features as well as a quick setup guide to help you get started selling products on Google. We also discuss the key advantages of Google Shopping Ads over Search Ads. We wish you a happy holiday season.
Wix App Market allows you to sync and optimize your Google Shopping product feeds. Connect a Wix App with your online store to maximize your sales.
The Global Awarded Magento POS – 2021 Stevie Awards Product Innovation winner provides you witha powerful Magento 2 POS extension as well as 24/7 support
How Google’s dominance in product search can benefit your holiday strategy
Google Shopping Campaigns are a must-have in your ecommerce strategy to drive traffic to your online shop this holiday. According to Matt Madrigal (VP of Google Shopping), Google receives about 1,000,000 shopping sessions per day. Consumer searches have increased by more than three times in the past year.
Google Shopping ads are above organic and paid search results. These ads can be viewed as prime marketing real property.
These are the first thing that a user will see when they search for a product. They are eye-catching and feature thumbnail product images in a simple layout that highlights the most important attributes for consumers.
Google Shopping ads can be used as a traffic source if you have a Wix online store. Even the Wix app Market can be used to connect directly with your Google Shopping Feed in just minutes.
Shopping ads can also be a traffic-driver. They are a great way to increase awareness of your brand. People will want to know more about you before they buy from you. You must first win their attention before you can win shoppers’ hearts. Google’s vast search network will help you reach millions of people. Because it’s quick to set up, your campaigns will be ready in time for peak holiday season.
Shopping ads are simple to set up. A Shopping ad’s information is pulled directly from your Google Merchant Center (GMC). To run shopping ads on Google, you need a GMC account. You can manage the appearance of your inventory in Google’s search results. Before they can launch Shopping Campaigns via Google, merchants will need to create a GMC Account and link it with their Google Ads account. Below is some step-by-step guidance.
These holidays, Google Shopping ads are better than Search ads
There are many reasons why online merchants should choose Shopping ads over Search ads this holiday season. Online merchants have 30% higher conversion rates with Shopping ads than they do from Search ads. Holiday sales are an integral part of customer retention and acquisition. Any increase in conversions can bring long-term benefits for your business.
It is important to be clear that “Shopping” (or “Search”) are two distinct types of campaigns within Google Ads. Search campaigns use keywords to trigger ads. Shopping campaigns focus more on your product catalogue or feed. Google’s algorithm determines if the product that you are selling is relevant to the keyword search.
Advertisers can connect keywords lists to the appropriate ad copy with Search campaigns. A bird supply store would make a list with relevant keywords such as “bird house” or “bird seed”, which they then add to their campaign. The campaign would trigger them to create an ad.
This is a Search Ad for “bird houses”.
It’s not as visually appealing as a Shopping Ad for the same keyword search. Merchants have the option to display their products visually in Shopping ads. Shopping ads not only display images but also important information such as brand, item name and price, store URL, star ratings, and more.
Searchers can instantly view (and compare) shopping ads to find the information that is most important to them when making a purchase. You will see product images, prices and store names, as well as ratings, right at the top of your search results. Google Shopping ads perform better than Search ads when matching buyer intent, because comparison shopping is an important factor in holiday buying.
These Google Shopping features will help you unlock holiday sales
This year’s holiday season promises to be record breaking with 62 per cent of shoppers anticipating to increase online shopping. In 2021, eCommerce will continue to grow. However, this year’s holiday season promises to be record-breaking. Shoppers are increasing their online shopping to save time and avoid supply chain problems. Bain, Deloitte and Mastercard forecast holiday sales to increase 7 percent in 2019. eCommerce sales are expected to increase by 11 to 15% over the 2020 holiday season.
Even now, large retailers are seeing signs that consumers are willing and able to spend. In September , US consumers spent more than they expected. DICK’S Sports Goods will hire more seasonal associates in 2021 than any time in its 73-year history. Home Depot has already sold their early Halloween decorations.
All eCommerce merchants have a better time than the holiday season to take advantage of Google Shopping.
We believe the following key features are important for Google Shopping campaigns and should be taken advantage of.
- Merchant promotions – Retailers can offer promotions such as “free shipping” and “curbside to all products listed in Shopping Ads and product listings. Your ads will stand out from other listings by offering specials. Google displays special offer links on mobile and desktop devices. These links, when clicked, give details about the offer as well as a call to action button. Holiday shoppers are always looking for bargains and can be convinced to shop at your online store if the right offer is available.
- Local inventory advertisements: Last year, global searches for locally available products (e.g. “available by me”) increased more than 100 percent. Merchants can use Local inventory ads to display product availability, provide safety information, pick-up options, hours and other details. The user clicks on the ad and they either land on your website or a Google local storefront page. Due to the increasing supply chain problems affecting international shipping, holiday shoppers will likely be more inclined to shop locally.
- Business identity attributes US merchants have the ability to assign identity attributes that allow search engines to learn more about their business. These attributes are displayed in the Google Shopping tab. These attributes are important to people, especially during holidays. Those who are driven by purpose will flock to your site if you can self-identify.
- Fast and free shipping: Merchants have the option of displaying these perks in their Google Shopping ads. To be opted into shopping ads or free listings, you must have an active GMC account. Also, you must enable web conversion tracking through Google Ads. You must also have active products that are eligible for free or fast shipping. Last but not least, you must include “free and quick” shipping on your website’s product detail pages or checkout.
- Additional shipping annotations You can also add shipping annotations to inform shoppers about shipping costs and speed. Google searches for “next-day delivery” have increased 70% over the past year. This makes it an important differentiation. This time of the year, timely delivery is even more important. There are several shipping options available, including “free delivery by”, “1-to 3-day shipping,” or “ship for free within 5 business days.”
- Return annotations: Make shoppers feel at ease and distinguish your store. Merchants can display return options right from their Shopping ads with return annotations. Your return policies can be displayed in Shopping ads with options like “Free 90-day returns” or “Free returns up to January 31”. A large percentage of holiday purchases were returned each year. This is why it is important to communicate upfront about your return policies in order to convert shoppers.
Quick Guide: How to set up your Google Shopping holiday campaign
Google Ad Help has detailed instructions about how to set up a Google Shopping Campaign. We’ll only give a brief overview. Before you can create holiday campaigns, you will need Google Ads or Google Merchant Center accounts.
After that, these are the next steps:
- Click Campaigns from your Google Ads account. Next, click the “plus” button to create a new project.
- Choose “Shopping” as your campaign type.
- Define campaign characteristics, including country of sale, inventory to be promoted, bidding type and daily budget. From the Campaigns tab, you can also link your GMC with your Google Ads account.
- You can choose from Showcase Shopping or Product Shopping to create your first ad group. This section allows you to set your ad-group bid. You can save the ad group and then choose “all products” (if advertising all products). Or, break down products by group to have more control over bidding per category.