Just about any service or product — even on a B2B website — could be a present for a special occasion. A government website could sell gift certificates to be redeemed for services, entry fees, or special reports.
In this post, I will review eight strategies to give gift certificates on an ecommerce site.
1. ) Use digital gift certificates, not paper and plastic versions. Digital, emailed gift certificates allows you proactively target four types of customers: last-minute shoppers (literally on Christmas day); people who know their loved ones’ favorite brands or interests without knowing exactly what sizes, models, colors, or flavors to get themoverseas shoppers; and, oftentimes, men, who often put gift shopping in the too-hard basket.
Emailed gift certificates also enable recipients to easily copy and paste their codes directly online onto your website. Compare these with paper gift certificates, which might present your customers with manual data entry problems (and predictions for customer service assistance). By means of example, the lower case”l” looks like the number”1″; upper case”O” is too similar to the number”0″ The number”5″ resembles the capital letter”S.”
2. ) Create a gift certificate page. Whether you provide a tab on the main navigation bar or an option in the footer, a gift certificate page makes it easy and fast for shoppers. Include a link to the gift certificate page at the bottom of each product category page and on the shipping information page.
Another clever positioning place is to include copy, eyesight, and a link to the gift certificate page when individuals’ searches return the dreaded”No results found” message.
3. Boost free transport thresholds. Clients purchasing gift certificates might not want their recipient to pay for shipping of the product they finally redeem their certificate for.
For people that have a free shipping threshold, consider promoting that in the current certificate prices — i.e.,”Buy a $200 gift certificate for the receiver to receive free delivery.”
4. ) Provide rapid certificate delivery turnaround or not at all. I have seen websites that require four weeks turnaround for a printed gift certificate or plastic gift card. Why so long? This is more than enough time for shoppers to go to a mall and find a genuine gift. People today expect fast delivery on printed gift certificates, and immediate delivery if they’re electronic.
5. ) Provide gift certificates without expiration dates. Whether you supply plastic gift cards, paper gift certificates, or electronic gift vouchers, none should have expiration dates. If they do, then they ought to be valid for five decades. Clients become mad when they find their gift certificates have expired and it creates waste in the event you have to throw away pre-printed cards after the date has passed.
Another advantage is that you can email newfound certificate recipients with promotions.
6. Use a format that will encourage recipients to start their electronic gift certificate emails. Your gift certificate recipients may have not heard of your company, causing your email to proceed to their junk mail folder. However they will recognize, accept, and begin mails coming from their friends and family members.
Include their gift-giver’s email address in the From field, and use a subject line like”[Company name] gift certificate from [sender title ].”
7. Give a clear call to action. In the email, notify the receiver that she has received a gift certificate. Include (a) the amount of the certificate, (b) a link or a button to start shopping, (c) details of any brick-and-mortar shops she can spend it at, and (d) that your customer care email and phone number if she has questions.
8. Send confirmation of the remaining balance. If the recipient doesn’t spend all of the gift certificate amount, include a statement of the remaining balance on the confirmation screen and in his confirmation email. Remind recipients if they have money left, to prompt them to return to your site to spend it.
►►► ConnectPOS is a cloud-based POS software compatible with multiple platforms including Magento, Shopify & Shopify Plus, and BigCommerce.
Our Feature Posts: